YIP presents… SUMMER JAM 2012 PREVIEW:
Philadelphia’s local arts and music scene is among the best in the United States and for the second consecutive year, Young Involved Philadelphia (YIP) is throwing an awesome bash! Summer Jam 2012 kicks off Saturday, June 23 at the North Shore Beach Club from 5-9 p.m. and will feature some of the hottest up and coming entertainment music performers and artists. This year’s lineup is killer – below is a preview of each act and what you can look forward to.
Conversations With Enemies: Fans of folk-rock and indie-pop will love Conversations With Enemies. The Philadelphia-based group’s recently released second album “The Good Times” shows what makes this talented band great – honest lyrics, a fun vibe, and indie-invested tones that will have you feeling amazing.
First Person Arts Storytellers: Experience the best storytelling in Philadelphia! Spoken word, poetry, and authentic personal stories will be shared in a way known to Philly – authentic, passionate, and full of talent. First Person Arts was founded in 2000 and since then has developed into a premier place for talented performing artists to share their stories and build dynamic connections with their audience.
Free Agents: Talented DJing is an art form that Free Agents bring to every set. Experience the killer turntable skills from DJ Dru and DJ Craig Dash who each bring energy and who use music to promote the core fundamentals of “peace, love, unity, and having fun.” If you love infectious beats and music that shows talented individuals at their best, check out Free Agents. Can’t get enough of DJ Craig Dash? Come to Sofitel in Rittenhouse Square for the hottest after-party called Mood Musiq, from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.!
MIRK: True hip-hop fans will get down all day and night to Mirk – an eclectic seven-piece group that has been described as having a “retro-R&B” sound. Mirk has no filler and combines live instruments, tight rhymes, and soulful vocals that creates a distinct and flavorful sound. This seven piece party powerhouse has quickly established a presence of the Capital Regions ‘must see’ bands.
Swift Technique: Do you like The Roots? Then you’ll love Swift Technique – a six-piece funk ensemble formed in 2007 that combines hip-hop beats with the a horn-infused blend of funk. The Philadelphia created group is known for bringing tons of energy and involving the crowd. If you’d like a sneak peak of Swift Technique, you can check them out at The Blockley on Friday, June 22, 2012 at 9 p.m. Tickets are between $9 and $12 and can be purchased here.
But wait… There’s More!
Art Auction: Philadelphia’s art scene is among the best in the nation – and Summer Jam has teamed up with some of the most renowned art institutions in Philadelphia. So step up with your best bid to score some high-quality art! Look what you can win:
- Arden Theatre Co.: 2 tickets to any production in the 2012-13 Season http://www.ardentheatre.org/
- Woodmere Art Museum: Family 4-pack pack membership http://www.woodmereartmuseum.org/
- The Clay Studio: 2 tickets to any “Date Night” or after-work event http://www.theclaystudio.org/
- Philadelphia Art Alliance: Commemorative exhibition book and behind-the-scenes tour of the PAA http://philartalliance.org/
- Philadelphia Museum of Art: 4 General Admission passes http://www.philamuseum.org/
- Philadelphia Woodworks: Gift certificate for a woodworking certification and woodshop tour http://www.philadelphiawoodworks.com/
- Original black & white photography (Ohio artist)
- Original ceramics: handmade vase (Ohio artist)
- Original ceramics: handmade cups and saucers (Ohio artist)
- Original photography: large framed print (Ohio artist)
- Marissa Hebert (original landscape art piece): http://www.marissahebert.com/artphotography.html
- Alyssa Stein (original artwork)
- Art Star (item TBD) http://www.artstarphilly.com/
- Opera Co. of Philadelphia http://www.operaphila.org/: 2 tickets to any production in the 2012-13 Season
Photographer Cassie Hepler: A photography veteran, Philadelphia-based photographer Cassie Helper will be taking photos and capturing the excitement through Summer Jam. Cassie has taken photos for the Times Herald, Philadelphia Tribune, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, and a host of modeling and fashion publications. If you see a woman taking photos, say hello and smile!